Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Fever

This year I went overboard with the pumpkins. Not only did we go to the pumpkin patch with Lucy, I also collected a bunch of pumpkins from a patch locally that gave them away for free. What to do with all the pumpkins....?


 
I decided I wanted to use my pumpkins to make puree. I love pumpkin flavored everything and wanted to preserve the flavor for as long as I could. I figured pureeing a pumpkin couldn't be any harder than a squash. To my surprise I was right.
 
The pumpkins from the local patch were small but yielded a lot. To start I washed them then broke off their stems.
Then I cut them in half and took out all the seeds.

On a greased or foil lined cooking tray I placed the pumpkins flesh side down.
Next I baked them at 375' until they started to juice and turn slightly brown.
Once the pumpkins cooled I peeled the skin off and placed the flesh into my handy food processor.
I hit the puree button for about thirty seconds until a nice smooth non clumpy texture formed.
I put some in a jar to use for dinner that night and the rest in a plastic bag to be frozen for the future. I was super pleased. Nothing beats fresh pumpkin especially in a pumpkin pie.
Pumpkin thief...
 
Look at how pretty it looks...
For those of you interested I also made this pumpkin pasta and these scones with my puree. They were both huge hits and definitely repeat offenders.
 
From Bake Your Day .... However I added sausage and garnished with bacon. AMAZING
 
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
 
Pumpkin scones from
Inspired Taste..... Very pleased.
    Spiced Pumpkin Scones Recipe - Inspired by Starbucks Pumpkin Scones

No comments:

Post a Comment